CH2M HILL Plateau Remediation Company is the prime contractor for the safe, environmental cleanup of the Central Plateau at the U.S. Department of Energy’s Hanford Site.
Our work on this 10-year $5.7-billion contract includes reducing risks on the Hanford Site by removing some of DOE’s highest hazard waste streams and facilities, from cleaning up 270 billion gallons of contaminated groundwater plumes before they reach the Columbia River, to removing highly radioactive “sludge,” to decommissioning and demolishing the Plutonium Finishing Plant that once stored secret stores of material for the nation’s defense.
Our scope of environmental cleanup:
- Treat contaminated groundwater beneath the entire site, including 270 billion gallons of water contaminated with 10 major radiological and chemical contaminants
- Move, treat and store highly radioactive sludge away from the Columbia River to the Central Plateau
- Clean out and demolish the Plutonium Finishing Plant
- Place the K East and K West Reactors in interim safe storage
- Treat and dispose of low-level, mixed low-level, and transuranic wastes
- Retrieve suspect, post-1970 transuranic waste
- Monitor, characterize, and remediate groundwater and waste sites
- Ship special nuclear materials offsite
- Clean out and demolish radiological, industrial, and nuclear facilities
- Shut down activities at the Fast Flux Test Facility
- Integrate cleanup activities along the river
- Develop site regulatory decision documents
- Establish long-term surveillance and maintenance at decommissioned facilities and waste sites
CH2M's work at Hanford is driven by one mission – removing hazards away from the river and reducing Hanford’s active area of cleanup to the site’s 75 square-mile Central Plateau. We are achieving this goal with proven experience as a world leader in the delivery of complex and challenging projects that span the globe – including the London 2012 Olympics and the Rocky Flats Closure Project.
CH2M is an employee-owned engineering company that provides consulting, design, construction and operations services for corporations and federal, state and local governments. We stake our reputation on delivering projects that create value for our clients and make our community a better place to live. Partnering with governments, cities and businesses in more than 50 countries, we tap deeply integrated capabilities across our organization – in transportation, water, environment, nuclear, oil & gas, industry, and urban environments – to meet their biggest engineering challenges. And we draw on the exceptional skills and creativity of 25,000 teammates with an outstanding track record of expertly executing projects both big and small. We love what we do, but we care just as much about how we work.
Maintaining this reputation requires us to excel in service while upholding our highest ethical standards and core values. By setting high expectations for conduct and ethics, we earn the trust of our customer, co-workers, business partners, and stakeholders. It is both the smart way to do business and the right thing to do! The CH2M Code of Ethics and Business Conduct booklet provides administrative guidance for our employees' legal and ethical responsibilities when conducting business.
Founded in 1946 in the Pacific Northwest as a water project engineering company, the CH2M culture remains firmly rooted in its focus on people through employee ownership, worker involvement, and protection of natural resources, from ensuring clean drinking water around the world to remediating groundwater in the Columbia River.